"Stut" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tony Marston wrote:
>> "Stut" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> Shocking and unexpected opinion from the developer of a framework. NOT!
>>>
>>> Anyway, I can see this falling into another lengthy discussion so I'll
>>> get my contribution in early to avoid disappointment.
>>>
>>> As others have mentioned this question is plagued by semantic arguments.
>>> To me a framework is as much about the way requests are routed and
>>> handled as it is about utility code.
>>>
>>> I don't use what I would call a framework, but I do have a
>>> well-established file layout for my sites and an extensive library of
>>> code that covers everything I need to do regularly.
>>
>> This could be classed as a framework as it obviously provides the means
>> to make use of all that code which has already been written and therefore
>> does not (or should not) need to be written again and again. As well as
>> providing a few low-level routines a fully fledged framework will also
>> provide a series of high-level functions such as user authentication,
>> role based access control, dynamic menus, audit logging and perhaps a
>> workflow system.
>
> Not to me, that would be a code library. A framework is something that
> would tie it all together and in doing so would introduce certain rules
> and restrictions.

That's exactly what my framework does. It gives immediate access to a great
deal of standard functionality without having to reinvent the wheel.

>> The real measure of a good framework is the length of time it takes to
>> create a new database table, then write the components to maintain the
>> contents of that table. I can do this in 5 minutes without having to
>> write a single line of PHP, HTML or SQL. If you can't match this then
>> you're not in the same league.
>
> If that's your attitude I'm very happy to be in a different league. I tend
> not to measure my productivity by how quickly I can develop functionality,
> but rather on how well it runs, scales and how user-friendly it is. I'm
> yet to meet a "framework" that satisfies those requirements.

I tend to write applications which only expect to have a low number of users
and where the speed of development, and hence the cost, is the most
important issue.

> This is a personal preference and your arrogance has definitely put me off
> ever going near your code whether it be a framework or a hello world. You
> are not better than me just because you use something you call a
> framework, and the fact that you think you are has given me my biggest
> chuckle of the day, so thanks for that.
>
> -Stut

Glad to be of service. Don't applaud, just throw money.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net