<clip>
> After reading a bit I see that if I just copy the "data" directory in the
> mySql directory, I can restore it from there? any idea if I have that wrong?

Hmm I guess, but I'd take the safer road and open a console and run:

mysqldump.exe -u <username> -p --all-databases --add-drop-database --opt
 > mysql.database.dump

so you have an sql file you can restore if necessary.

Adjust paths/files/usernames/passwords as necessary.

</clip>

Hey!
Thanks for replying.

I decided to try something else while waiting for a response (still nothing
from the main XAMPP forums though) and this is what worked for me, am posting
it here so maybe it will help someone else in future (via the archives) facing
the same problems that I faced , I dont know if this is a temp fix, I dont
think so and it works perfectly for now.

Downloaded XAMPP again, installed it in c:/xampp2 (original version was in
c:/xampp)
copied over all the files needed from the htdocs to c:/xampp2's htdocs
in the MySql folder, go into the "data" folder and just copy the files with the
DB names that you created, leave all other files alone, paste these files into
the c:/xampp2/mysql/data folder... do not overwrite anything, and if you have
done this correctly you should _not_ get the overwrite prompt
Go to xampp's security page and redo the security including putting the
password for root..

I am a bit of a paranoid dude, so i did a complete backup of all myfiles in
htdocs and the mySql data folder and burnt it to DVD, you might consider doing
thesame...just in case.

Thats it! Remember to edit the paths in your scripts for those that need it
from xampp to xampp2.
A slight hassle, but not one that cant be done in 3-10 mins including copy time.

Thanks again Chris for your replies to this thread.

Cheers!