> /*
> Top posting from my cell...
>
> 1.  Format hard drive
> 2. Install redhat fc8 or Ubuntu 8.04
> 3. Load the new MySQL installation with your backup file
>
> If you really have to stay with windoze, remove and re-install
> apache.  Look at the system log files as they SHOULD tell you what
> was causing the crash.
> */
>
> Hey Wolf,
> Thanks for replying.
>
> Would love to install Linux, problem is... dont know the first thing
> about it if things go wrong, I always wanted to learn what its all
> about but when I started to read up on it quickly got confused with
> all the different flavors out there... which one is right for me/ a
> total beginner? for every little thing I would probably have to join
> a linux list and post.. what about drivers for the bits and pieces
> of the laptop? what about software? most of the places I go to
> download software (freeware or shareware) is only for Win..
> Would love to switch away from Win... but i think the OS guys will
> have to make it seem less of a mountain to climb to do so :(
<reply>
One option, I don't know what your budget is, but Apple's Macintosh OS
X is basically a flavor of Unix (FreeBSD if I remember right) with a
nice user interface on it.

You have the ability to dive into the commandline when you need to/
want to, but have the comfortable point/click user interface when you
don't want to worry about it.

Just something else to think about... Oh... And there's no virii for
the Mac :)

</reply>

Cant afford a new comp or a new OS and as for your last statement:
http://www.sophos.com.au/pressoffice/news/articles/2006/02/macosxleap.html
_almost_ no virii for the Mac :)

Cheers!