<?php

$foldersystem = getcwd().'/test1';
$id = '54961';
$imgstr = 'tdtdtdtd'; //uniqid();
$i = 2;

$imagenamesmall = $foldersystem . '/' . $id . $imgstr . '-s' . $i . '.jpg';
echo $imagenamesmall; // For debugging purposses --> returns exactly what I
want.

//attempt to create folder
mkdir($foldersystem);
chmod($foldersystem, 0777);

//save picture
if(!($handle = fopen($imagenamesmall, 'w'))){
   echo "Cannot open file (31)";
   exit;
}

This code works for me. How about you ?