Am 2008-05-22 10:18:19, schrieb Philip Thompson:
> This statement appears to be one of ignorance. You claim that because
> you don't know what it does and it has a certain name, it MUST be a
> violation of your privacy. A violation of your privacy would be
> gaining *personally-identifiable* information w/o your knowledge -
> G.A. can't tell a web admin my first, middle, last names and DOB from
> my browser. Do some reading about the product and then make an
> educated statement.

Your asumption is very wrong since:

First of all:

1)  Google is Archiving Mailinglists
2)  I use an E-Mail Address and a REAL NAME
3)  Google KNOW from where I am am sending the message

4)  urchinTracker() now track my IP if I am @CUSTOMER,
    @HOME or in a Internet Cafe
5)  Google can identify my Mozilla/Iceape by cookies
6)  and if I am in a time slot from 1) to 3) then Google
    can assign my cookies and personal data to it...

Do you get it?

Sicne I generaly send only Mailinglist messages from 3 different
places it is hard to detect where I am, but additional surfing
the Internet over customer

There is NO human intervention neccesary...
It can be done entirely automaticaly.

And even no one is intersted in tracking me, ANY *.gov organisation
can access the Database at any time since Google is an US enterprise
and fall under the "Patriot Act"

Please search Google for it since there are several threads...

In Europe, such practice IS "privacy violation".

> Again, no personally-identifiable information being sent...

Read the thing above...

The analysys was done by the DGSE and the french "Ministry of Defense"
by simulating if with over 2000 test-persons.

> These statements are what really made me want to respond. From this
> statement, you are basically saying that a majority of the sites out
> there would have to have disclaimers. I know! Why don't we just
> require web developers to reveal the secrets!(TM) of their sites and
> give the source code so we can verify that they're not trying to find
> the name of my cat when I was 8? I mean, come on. "[W]arn users of
> your website"?? Don't get me wrong - I am all about security, but this
> appears to be taking it a bit far. As a web surfer, one should be
> aware of the potential risks and prepare reasonably!(TM) However, I
> must question if you should even be on the web... how do you sleep at
> night with all those javascript functions and cookies just parading
> around the 'net?!

In Germany and France are laws and EACH website must have such
disclaimer including its full address and the name of the responsable...

> I must say that I can't speak for other countries (non-US), but I
> don't see how this is a privacy violation - no personally-identifiable
> information is being transmitted. If you consider an IP or web browser
> as personally-identifiable, then I say you're wrong.

Sead above about sending E-Mails and tracking it back to Web-Surfing.

Note:  Google need to archive Mailinglist infos to do that...

> >This is not only a privacy violation, it is spionage...
>
> Prove it.

Read the thing abouve

> >This is HOW secret services (the NSA is using Google) are working.
>
> Oh neat. You worked for Secret Services before you worked for the
> French Ministry of Defense. You must be quite the security-guru. ;)

I was nearly 11 years at the French Foreign Fegion and then coming to
the regular army where I was I am programmer and analyst and was working
for the french concurence of the DIA (USA) and there anre many security
issues in the Internet.

I was coding such stuff for years...  And now with cellphones , WAP,
GPRS and GSM it is even more easier to track someone

> If you used Google Analytics, you could find where I'm typing this
> email... =P

If I do such things on my website, I know there was someone form IP
a.b.c.d and thats all for the moment.

Then, my mailserver is on the same machine and it tracks sending IP's
by date and from whom...

Now a third job run the two databases together...
                                                 ...and mybe I get you!

> Ok, enough said from me - must get back to writing malicious code that
> will tell me what IP you're ISP has given you!

You can look in the headers of the E-Mail...

Ah...  I see, <lists.php.net> is striping the "Received:" headers...

But anyway, I know your name and E-Mail...
                     ...and will find you maybe on other Mailinglists:-)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)