Hi gang:

I found the problem I was having with sessions and want to share it with you -- it surprised me.

To refresh -- I was having a problem with destroying a session. I went through all the steps shown in the manual and dozens of recommended ways of doing it I found on the net.

However, I found that while I was actually destroying the session I wanted, another session was being created in a very unexpected way.

Now, the manual says:

"session_start() creates a session or resumes the current one based on the current session id that's being passed via a request, such as GET, POST, or a cookie."

From that one assumes that if you place a session_start at the beginning of each page, then the first time it's encountered, a session will be created and with every encounter thereafter the established session will be used.

That's the way it works PROVIDED that you do not use the following in your code:

header('Location: http://www.yourdomain.com/whatever/index.php');

If you use that statement, then a new session will be created AND you will find that you'll have two sessions working concurrently. That creates several problems -- one of them being while you may destroy the first session, the second will be still remain.

Now, how many people knew this?

Am I the only one who didn't?

Cheers,

tedd