---- Dan Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is more of a logic question than a PHP question.  I wanted to get some
> opinions on how some of you are doing things like this.
>
> I have a set of employees in our quote management system.  We get thousands
> of quotes per hour, and every 15 minutes I have a cron that goes out and
> grabs the unassigned and goes in a round robin fashion assigning the quotes
> to the employees.  I have the table setup like:
>
> User ID, Username, AssignTolken
>
> What I've been doing is grabbing the user who has AssignTolken = 1, and
> giving them the next quote.  Then I change them to 0, pull up the next user
> in line, and set them up to get the next quote with AssignTolken = 1.
>
> My question is:  How do you all do handle similar situations like this?
> I've been thinking there has to be a better way to do it, but I have not
> been able to think of a good way to do it.  I'd like to see how if I'm doing
> it like everyone else, or what else is out there.  Any ideas would be
> appreciated!

The only thing I don't see is a current total count setup, meaning if John has
the AssignTolken=1 then he'll get the next unassigned one.  HOWEVER if John has
3000 quotes and Jim only has 1500, then you really want to assign Jim the next
quote as it would be done sooner.

You might also want to track who is in the office or on vacation as well so
that you assign only to Active people.

My $.02

Wolf