---8<--- snip!

> > I can't think of any method to do it in-browser, but doing it this
> way
> > could open the gates for things like Google Gears to possibly work
> > too...

I have an "almost-fully-functional" Java Applet file uploader. Progress bar,
unlimited* file size, blah blah blah... can hook into nearly any language on
the other end (though I'm currently working with PHP). Some bytes are missing
from the resulting file when I try to upload an MP3, but it's a work in
progress.

I don't see the problem with using a Java Applet or something that is easily
installed on-demand. Java doesn't quite have the widespread adoption I would
hope for, but it definitely makes its' way around.

Todd Boyd
Web Programmer