Lester Caine wrote:
Colin Guthrie wrote:
Sancar Saran wrote:
Don't expect anything good from M$...

Oh I don't expect anything good from them, never have, never will, but that still doesn't change my point that sunset dates would probably be better for them in the long run... looking for a reason up upgrade a subborn user who wont drink the vista kool aid? Stop them surfing and get them to upgrade!

Except that this is the same argument that has been applied to PHP4. There is nothing stopping people continuing to use PHP4 if they want to. Finally it is just not being supported.

That's different tho'. Being limited to PHP 4 is the choice of the people who deploy the application. Those same people cannot choose how said application is *consumed*, which then limits what techniques they can use with confidence etc. So this argument doesn't really apply here.

M$ want to end of life XP, but ITX and similar small profile systems simply can't even load Vista so what do we use then? These boxes are happier running W2k!

Which goes back to my previous point whereby if MS do not support their IE in older distros... sorry OSes, and people do not want to upgrade, then other browsers should fill that void. It's a MS choice pure and simple as to whether they support their own older products.

M$ may want to kill off older versions of windows, but they are also killing off whole swaths of customers in the process?

Well they either create a browser that continues to work for their older OS's or let someone else do it. If there is a need then someone will fill it, that's the point.

A sunset date for old browsers would take any assessment out of the equation.

Most devs stop supporting older browsers at some point, but the trick is knowing exactly when to do it, and doing so in a way that still allows commercial web developers to cater for their target audience. Many people running older, outdated browsers simply don't know they are out of date, but if this information is much closer to the surface (e.g. every time they start their browser and consistent and persistent nagging), then they would know about it and perhaps look at rectifying the situation so that they can have a better web experience and developers can focus on the important aspects of their projects rather than spending countless hours catering for obsoleted but still used products.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie