On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 11:26 -0400, tedd wrote:
> At 11:57 PM +0100 9/15/08, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> >I agree on your point about trying before bashing. I've tried Vista.
> >Hell, I had to use it for 2 months solid while I was working in India,
> >so I really got to test it out. I had more crashes on that in the 2
> >months I was using it than I had on Fedora in 2 years. Now, admittedly I
> >was working on Vista during every working hour, and I only use my Fedora
> >machine at weekends and evenings, but I think if you tally up the total
> >time, it was really not in Windows' favour. As an OS, XP was not all
> >that bad, but I've found I really do prefer the way Linux behaves, that
> >and I can get pretty much whatever software I want for free, which just
> >isn't always so easy with Windows.
>
> I spend at least 10 to 12 hours per day (including weekends) working
> on my machine and I've been running my current Mac for over 6 years
> with my Mac experience dating back to 1984 (the original 128k Mac,
> which I still have).
>
> In the last 6 years, I remember my current Mac locking up only once
> and that was on start-up after I had installed additional drive. I
> had to hold the "on" button to get it to shut down. But, the next
> boot was uneventful.
>
> Yet people think that the occasional crash is acceptable when working
> with computers. I can only say, they must not be Mac people.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com

I rarely get any crashes with Linux, probably about the same as my
flatmate gets, on his Mac. Both are very stable and secure, which is
what you want from an OS. The OS is there to make your life easier, not
to get in the way with dozens of warning message, blockades and
workarounds.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk