Stut schreef:
> On 21 Oct 2008, at 22:08, Jochem Maas wrote:
>> Mike van Riel schreef:

>>> When a script ends everything is released (with some small exceptions),
>>> thus also all references to instances of classes.
>>> Thus AFAIK a deconstructor will always be called at the end of script
>>> execution.
>>>

>> but you have no control over what order dtors are called and you can't
>> make
>> any assumptions about state of file handles to STDIN/STDOUT and things
>> like
>> that ... personally I find dtors run at end of script to be nigh on
>> useless.
>
> I use destructors to update dirty objects in memcache.

care to eloborate ... sounds interesting.

I also use them
> in my template class to optionally automagically output the footer
> without needing an explicit call on each page.

not sure if I find that of much use, I see the validity but 1 LOC to
eplicitly output a page footer seems to me to be less of a wtf than
an(other) bit of auto-magic to save what is probably a very short simple
method call.

> They're far from useless.

true. but they are limited, there is no garantee any other object
will still exist when a particular dtor is run [at shutdown] which means a
heavy OO
codebase cannot have object automated object interaction at shutdown ... there
are other gotchas (e.g. closed file descriptors to STDIN/STDOUT)

interaction with memcache though is a really good example. and I'd like to
learn a little more :-D