bruce wrote:
curious qiestion....

to all on here who dabble in php... how many of you have actully gone to
college, taken algorithm courses, microprocessor courses,
design/architecture courses, etc..

or is the majority of the work here from people who've grabbed the tools and
started programming... ?

the bulk of it self taught and via vast amounts of reading and many years of on the job experience (needs must), some formal education in the form of a year wasted getting a diploma whenst I was young (mainly as the topics covered where out of date and unused in general business).

HOWEVER, (a big one) I've recently converted, never really been an advocate of formal training until recently; I would highly recommend taking some certification courses (zend, sun, mysql etc), and some formal study on the finer details of programming / architecture.

If I could do it all again I'd do both, work to get experience and challeges, read the great books and the manuals, and get certified properly at the same time.

finally, using good tools makes a vast difference, for instance I use eclipse + pdt + zend eclipse debugger + svn + rse + bugzilla + mylyn + phpdoc + phpunit (adding in ant + cruise control to the mix soon for continuous integration)

[snip myself]