tedd wrote:
Hi gang:

I just interviewed for a job teaching at the local college (imagine me taking minds of mush and molding them to the world according to tedd -- frightening huh?)

In any event, the interviewer asked me how long I've been using MySQL and I replied several years. After which she asked a single question, which was "What does EXIST mean?"

Now without running to the manuals, please be honest and tell me how many of you know off the top of your head what EXIST means? I would be curious to know.

I answered the question correctly, (I'm one of those weird types who read manuals for fun) but I have never used EXIST in a query. Have any of you?

I knew it "exist"ed but have never felt the need to use it; and upon refreshing my knowledge from the manual can safely say I'll continue not to use it.

On the same not does anybody else frequently use (or even know about) the awesome spatial extension for mysql? or use the information_schema tables?

And while we're on the subject of MySQL -- while we all know how to write it, how do you say it?

I've read that the common way is to say "My Squell", or something like that. But I always sounded out each letter, such as "My S-Q-L". The interviewer pronounced it the same as I, but I have heard others say it differently.

What say you?

I'm in the My-S-Q-L boat as well; also "Post-gres" and "S-Q-L Server" for ms.. none of this sequele malarky