On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 10:03:26AM -0500, tedd wrote:
> Hi gang:
>
> I just interviewed for a job teaching at the local college (imagine me
> taking minds of mush and molding them to the world according to tedd
> -- frightening huh?)
>
> In any event, the interviewer asked me how long I've been using MySQL
> and I replied several years. After which she asked a single question,
> which was "What does EXIST mean?"
>
> Now without running to the manuals, please be honest and tell me how
> many of you know off the top of your head what EXIST means? I would be
> curious to know.
>
> I answered the question correctly, (I'm one of those weird types who
> read manuals for fun) but I have never used EXIST in a query. Have any
> of you?

Really? What *does* it mean? It's not in the manual index. Perhaps
you're confusing it with EXISTS.

> And while we're on the subject of MySQL -- while we all know how to
> write it, how do you say it?
>
> I've read that the common way is to say "My Squell", or something like
> that. But I always sounded out each letter, such as "My S-Q-L". The
> interviewer pronounced it the same as I, but I have heard others say
> it differently.

My-S-Q-L. Few people realize that 'sequel' was the language used by
Ingres for their database and it was different from S-Q-L.

--
"You are the only one who can use your ability. It is an awesome
 responsibility." -- Zig Zigler