On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 14:34 -0800, Lamp Lists wrote:
> hi,
> as far as I know (at least I was told so) html page will download faster then
> the same page made with php getting the same info from mysql, right?
>
> let's pretend we are building php/mysq based website of one football team.
> there are pages of every player, about the team, games etc.
> in admin area there is form to enter player's data: first name, last name,
> DOB, place of birth, him number (jersey), previous teams, education,...
> we submit data and they are stored in database. and we just did for john doe,
> (id=12345), born on 1986-10-02 in Paris, TX (do you remember nastasia kinski?
> :-))
>
> on front end there is list of players and you click on john doe's name and
> the page will show submitted data.
>
> what if we, together with storing john doe data into mysql, create html page
> 12345.html with all his data. and actually, when visitor clicks on his name
> on the list of players it will not open player.php?id=12345 then 12345.html?
>
> this page will download faster, right?
>
> downside, depending of type of the website, it could be thousands and
> thousands of pages, but still...?
>
> to edit john doe page, the administrator (in admin area) will pull the data
> from mysql, do the changes and submit new ones to mysql and overwrite
> 12345.html page.
>
> now, what's bad with this "structure"? what am I thinking wrong?
>
> thanks
>
> ll

I've seen CMS's do this kind of thing before, and really you only have
an advantage if you are getting lots and lots (think many thousands) of
visitors a day. The overhead isn't all that large and the user won't
even notice it. The advantage to having the site done only in PHP/MySQL
is that should you decide to add elements to the site in the future,
with a CMS driven site it's much easier than having to edit the part of
the CMS that is outputting the HTML files and then making it run through
an re-create each and every page, which will be very slow each time you
have to do it.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk