I will be brief. Tony is a dick.

Peace & Love,
Skip

Tony Marston wrote:
"Skip Evans" <s...@bigskypenguin.com> wrote in message news:49723137.2010...@bigskypenguin.com...
Wow, Tony, do you think in the future you could try to express yourself with just a bit more civility and in a less condescending tone?

Nathan expressed some thoughts he had, politely, and when out of his way to come across in a non-critical and non-confrontational manner.

Tony Marston wrote:
Absolute rubbish!
There's just no need to insult other list members like this.

Saying that someone's ideas are absolute rubbish is not an insult. Calling him a moron would be, but I did not.

Frankly, it's this kind of treatment that make these lists less productive than they could be.

And you think that his ideas for changing PHP to suit his particular programming style would be productive? I think not.

It intimidates less experienced programmers from asking good questions,

What makes you think that he is an inexperienced programmer? What makes you think that these are good questions? He is saying that he doesn't like the way that PHP works and wants it changed to suit his personal needs.

lest they get treated the way Nathan was. And isn't helping out less experienced coders one of the reasons this list exists?

And it also makes others less inclined to participate, or drop off the list entirely.

If it stops feeble minded people from filling this forum with useless requests then surely that's a good thing? Personally I'm sick and tired from reading posts such as this which say "I'm used to language X, and my feeble brain cannot cope with the differences, so why can't PHP be changed to behave like language X?"

It's NOT just so we can blast each other and show off our highly dubiously assumed superiority.

With all the frustrations we put up with in our daily lives, I would hope a list like this, especially since we are among colleagues, could be a place we could at least cautiously expect to be treated with respect.

Then the OP should respect PHP for what it is, and not request changes that would make it unusable for 99.999% of the millions of programmers who have already written millions of programs with it. PHP is successful because of the way it works, and changing the way it works, as suggested by the OP, would not make it more successful. On the contrary, I think that it would PHuck it up completely.

But that's just my opinion.

--
Skip Evans