Also in place of Vi  you should be looking for an IDE like Netbeans PDT
which is one of the best for coding in PHP you can forget using TextPad for
this.
And to let your codes versioned use SVN=Subversion

Using a framework lets you apply and abide by some conventions and lets you
DRY=Dont Repeat Yourself .. which is very helpful for a large project.
Use FreeOpenSourceSoftwares, Stop piracy, Let the developers live. Get
a Free CD of Ubuntu mailed to your door without any cost. Visit :
www.ubuntu.com