On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 16:59, George Larson <george.g.lar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am I imagining things?  If not, how would I properly make them able to run
> through a browser?

    You're not imagining things.  In general, unless set up with
SuExec privileges, Apache (which is probably the HTTP server you're
using) will run as 'nobody,' 'apache,' 'www,' or 'daemon.'  If you
can't configure it to SuExec (check Google for some ideas on this....
you'll need root access), you could use the less-secure (this, not
recommended) options of changing the file mode permissions to 0777 or
change the file ownership (if you have the right permissions yourself)
to be owned by the same user and/or group as which Apache runs.

    It may sound a little confusing at first glance, but it's really
not.  Just keep in mind that UNIX and Linux (Mac and similar OS'es
fall in here, too) are simultaneous multi-user systems, meaning that
many users (including virtual users that the system uses as aliases
for individualized permissions) can be "logged in" and run processes
concurrently.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.br...@parasane.net || danbr...@php.net