Ok, I got it to find the word list by copying en-aspell.pwli from
/usr/share/pspell/ to ./usr/local/share/pspell/ go figure. Unfortunately,
that didn't fix all of the problems. Now I get the following error message:
Warning: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: Unable to load the
"aspell" module.

I didn't configure php --with-aspell because it would always crash if I did
that. Do I need aspell support in php to use pspell?

I'm not sure what the problem is. If anyone has solved this before, please
let me know.
-Aaron