I have been tearing out my hair to figure out a way to place array
values into $variables with not much luck. I can echo the array to the
screen but I can not manipulate the results.
I have searched wide and far all day on the web and I find nothing that
points the way how to extract values from an associative array and
assign them to a variable.
I expected to find some elegant way to do it. Here's the code that
outputs the values:
if ( isset( $book_categories[$bookID] ) ) {
   foreach ( $book_categories[$bookID] AS $categoryID ) {
      if ( isset( $category[$categoryID] ) ) {
          echo($category[$categoryID]['category']);

this will echo something like "CivilizationGods And GoddessesHistorical
PeriodsSociology & Anthropology" (I have not added breaks beween the
categories as there is more manipulation needed on them)

This works for as many categories as needed. Manipulating each value
should not be a problem once it is in a string variable using switch and
preg_replace() as each category needs to be stripped of spaces, commas
and &s.

--
unheralded genius: "A clean desk is the sign of a dull mind. "