Robert Cummings wrote:
On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 16:27 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
Marc Christopher Hall wrote:
The following comment is not intended to be helpful....

*smacks head on desk repeatedly...*

This comment is..

I would hazard to say that if you are unwilling or unable to grasp OOP, MVCs
and any decent framework that is necessary then maybe stepping back and
tackling only things you can grasp.
To be honest - one of the problems is that documentation that tries to explain these concepts is often severely lacking, using extremely poor analogies, and only make sense to people who already have an understanding of the concept.

For example -

A car is a good real-world example of MVC. With a car you have two views: the interior and the exterior. Both take input from the controller: the driver. The brakes, steering wheel and other controls represent the model: they take input from the controller (driver) and hand them off to the views (interior/exterior) for presentation.

That's from a web page that is suppose to explain MVC.

I bet if you took 50 people who didn't have a clue as to what MVC is - maybe 1 or 2 of them would after reading that.

Documentation and howto's, just like code, really need to go through real world testing to see if they make sense to people not already familiar with the topic.

Unfortunately that rarely happens.

I think you have it back asswards. People need to go through real world
development or innane examples and then someone needs ot tell them where
they went wrong. That's how it worked in university. We got an example
like the one above, then we were expected to apply the principle. Those
who undertood it right away got great marks on their assignment, those
who took a little longer didn't... but if they kept at it... till they
figured it out... they got a good mark on the exam. I don't understand
defeatism. Suck it up! There's a zillion examples on the web. Study
many, learn the generalism.

The problem is I can make a car analogy out of any type of programming design method.

Most of those who got it right away and got great marks did so NOT because of what they learned from the example, but because of what they already knew before they signed up for the class.

Thus, when the teacher sees some of his students understanding the concept, he becomes smug and arrogant and thinks he did something right and those who didn't get it have something wrong with them. The reality is he can't teach worth shit and those who understood it did so before they took his class, hence he didn't teach them anything.