Hi group,

I am looking for an easy way to manipulate (read, write) the metadata
(title, subject, keywords, author) in PDF files through PHP.

Most PHP/PDF solutions I have found so far (through Google) are aimed at
constructing PDFs from text and graphics, with lots of fancy features,
but most of them omit metadata functions altogether.

I would also prefer something extremely lightweight that I could just
include_once() into my script, i.e. not a module or external program. I
am currently using pdfinfo from xpdf-utils, but it has to go.

My use case is I want to build a database with the metadata of a bunch
(many hundreds, perhaps thousands) of PDF files in a directory on the
server for easy search, statistics and retrieval. I also want users to be
able to make edits to any PDF's metadata from the web.

If it can be at all avoided, I would rather not have to invent the wheel
myself here. I have looked at the Adobe PDF specification a bit and it
looks quite... challenging. Or should I say daunting.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.