Thodoris wrote:

>> hi
>> I was trying to read a file from Desktop (Centos),
>>
>> Simply saying (php code file is in /var/www/html/ )
>>
>> if (file_exists("/root/Desktop/conf_files_linux"))
>> echo "yes file is there";
>> else
>> echo "no none";
>>
>> It gives me none.
>> If i place conf_files_linux file in /var/www/html. i get yes...
>>

>> After checking log file i got
>>
>> [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)
>>
>> What  i need to do, so tht i can access files from outside?
>> help pls
>>
>> thanx
>>

> I assume that this running by the web server (/var/www/html) so a wild
> guess is that the user that your web server uses to run (usually apache
> or www) cannot access the Desktop directory. In order to use the suexec
> feature you need to configure it or else the web server user needs to
> have read/write rights to the directory you need to access like the
> Desktop.
>
> Though this not recommended. You could always run this script from
> command line being root or whatever user is the owner of the Desktop
> directory.  Read this if you are not aware of how this can be done:
>
> http://www.php.net/features.commandline

If the OP's system is set up properly, then nobody but root should be able to
read ANY of root's home directory, so the files will not be found.
For a start, one doesn't want config files in anyone's home directory if they
are for a system-wide server.
And one doesn't EVER want to have anything in /root that anyone but root needs
to access.
And one shouldn't be logged in as root unless one is doing a short-lived system
maintenance task: certainly one should not doing development work there...

I know it sounds dictatorial, but it's (part-way to) best practice...

Those config files should be in something like /etc/apache/extra, perhaps, if
they are not safe in the web root (which they probably are not, unless the web
server is configured to keep them safe)

--
Peter Ford                              phone: 01580 893333
Developer                               fax:   01580 893399