Ashley,
Don't scare me like that.  I know I'm losing my eye sight, but a
copy-paste-diff shows your
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"$filename\"");
differs from my original post's
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"$name\"");
by only the text "file".  This method (with the other headers I used
in my original post) fails on IE with the lame error:
Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site.  The
requested site is either unavailable or cannot be
found.  Please try again later.

Hence the reason for my post in the first place.  If you would show
your other headers for the \" quoted method, I'd be happy to test
them.  Maybe you were comparing your method to my single tick method?

Mike,
rawurlencode (sounded promising) but did in fact leave it saved on the
hard drive as %20 rather than + or the desired "space".  I find the
str_replace spaces to underscores more readable, although saving to
the hard drive with spaces would be best.  Thanks though.