At 10:31 AM -0700 7/7/01, John Meyer wrote:
>When I go through a foreach loop, are the values of the individual
>items in the array changed?
>For instance:
>$variables = array($author_firstname, $author_lastname, $author_dob,
>$author_dod, $author_bio);
>  foreach($variables as $value) {
>         $value = strip_tags($value);
>         $value = AddSlashes($value);
>  }
>will the values be changed outside of the loop?

No, because $value is a copy the current array element, not simply a
pointer to it. Furthermore, if I understand the documentation (see
below) correctly, this construct (using the $variables array from
above) -

        $i = 0;
        foreach ($variables as $value)
        {
        $variables[$i] =AddSlashes( strip_tags($value));
         $i++;
        }

- will not work either, since foreach() operates a COPY of the array.
 From the docs at

        http://www.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.foreach.php :

Note: When foreach first starts executing, the internal array pointer
is automatically reset to the first element of the array. This means
that you do not need to call reset() before a foreach loop.

Note: Also note that foreach operates on a copy of the specified
array, not the array itself, therefore the array pointer is not
modified as with the each() construct and changes to the array
element returned are not reflected in the original array.

        - steve

--
+------ Factoid: Of the 100 largest economies in the world, 51 are ------+
| Steve Edberg                           University of California, Davis |