Dušan Novaković wrote:
Hi,

Is there a possibility that if there is no font installed on client
side somehow browser finds it and redirect that font form server to
client machine. For example: I have site that use Microsoft font and
that font is not available on Linux distributions. So when u open page
in FF on some Linux u get some default font (because browser doesn't
recognize that font). I hope that I've managed to explane a problem
:-) Does anyone has any solution for this problem??? Please it's very
urgent....

Thanks,
Dusan

Stick to either core web or adobe base35 and most Linux distributions will handle it just fine.

Embedding fonts only works in Linux with the latest version of Firefox (3.5) and I'm not sure that embedding fonts the way that works in FF 3.5 will work with Internet Exploder.

Example of how to set up a proper css for best compatability:

font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;

Linux will map helvetica to the proper URW clone if helvetica is not installed. Mac I believe has helvetica. Windows will either map helvetica to arial (a helvetica clone) or skip the helvetica declaration and go straight to arial.

Systems that don't have helvetica or arial or are configured to use a suitable clone will use the systems default sans-serif font.

You can not do web design dependent upon a particular font being installed. Even with embedded fonts, the end user may not allow installation of embedded fonts.

If you really need a particular font, use PDF and embed the font in the PDF - or (such as in the case of classical languages with special fonts) give a link to where a suitable font can be downloaded.

Almost desktop Linux systems have equivalents to the Adobe Base 35 fonts (or in my case have both type 1 and ttf variants of the Adobe Base 35 fonts installed) and many Desktop Linux systems have the Microsoft "Core Web" fonts installed - but don't use Comic Sans MS as some characters (such as the lower case m) do not properly render in Linux.

If embedding fonts, make sure you have license to do so.

The bitsream vera fonts are open source, you can embed them - and most linux systems have them installed and won't need to use embedded versions.

http://www.bitstream.com/font_rendering/products/dev_fonts/vera.html