php not but perhaps the client its not clear and commonly defined what
clients do with cookies on reconnect and stuff or long idle times.

I would expect as source the new browsers where more and more users use
subwindows to have concurrent sessions, does anybody know how they handle ip
changes? I'm not.

these things are new and that would fit that the problem is new as well.