On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Ashley Sheridan
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> I  think that people removing themselves from mailing lists is a little
> extreme. I wouldn't remove myself just because I thought I was being tracked.

You might not, but some people will. One (of many) of the problems
with that approach is that the same technique has been used by
spammers to validate which addresses actually get delivered and read.

> There is another way to track reading of emails though. Microsoft Outlook
> created something called read receipts. Users still have to accept the read
> receipt to be sent to the sender, so it might be a slightly more obtrusive
> way of finding out who read what, and afaik, it only works on the first read
> of an email. I don't know exactly how they are formed, but I believe it is
> some form of special attachment to the email that is recognised by some email
> clients.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

This is just an additional header or two at the top of the mail
message. I'm not positive, as I've never used them, but look up
"Read-Receipt-To" and "Disposition-Notification-To". This approach
allow the user to have total control over whether they wish to notify
you. Keep in mind that 1) not all clients recognize these headers, and
2) many people again will choose to say "No".

Andrew