<http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/code-html-email-newsletters>

is a straight-ahead overview of what you can/should/cant/shouldn't do in HTML e-mails.

        Or check out:

<http://www.devshed.com/c/a/PHP/Composing-Messages-in-HTML-for-MIME-Email-with-PHP/ >

for some heavy-duty mail classes (be sure to check the "See Also" section for the full story).
        I also referenced the following:

<http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt5/html-email-multi.htm>

on the basics of sending multi-part e-mail (ie. plain text AND HTML).
        HTH.

George