On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 02:02:18PM +1000, Angus Mann wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm currently using the phpmailer class from phpmailer.worxware.com to send
> datatbase -populated emails to clients.
>
> At the moment I'm runninng PHP on Windows and using the built-in sendmail
> equivalent packaged with XAMPP. It uses a remote SMTP that authenticates by
> prior logging into a POP account.
>
> The number of emails sent is very small. Each one is only sent after a user
> fills out a form and presses send.
>
> But there is a noticable lag of about 5 or sometimes 10 seconds after
> pressing "send" before the user sees the "Mail sent" page. I presume the
> reason for the lag is the time spent logging on and off a remote POP, then
> SMTP server, transferring the data etc.
>
> It would be better if this happened in the background - that is, the user
> could get on with doing his next task while the emails sat in a queue in the
> backgorund, being lined up and sent without PHP waiting for the process to
> finish.
>
> Can anybody recommend a good way of doing this? Is Mercury Mail going to help
> me here?

If this were me, I'd set up a mailserver on the web machine and send
mail to it instead of using phpmailer to connect directly to a distant
mailserver. The authentication between phpmailer and the local
mailserver should be near instantaneous, and you can let the local
mailserver deal with transferring mails in its own sweet time. I don't
know if there's a mailserver included in XAMPP installations, but if so,
I'd do that. In fact, if you're just sending simple emails, you could
use PHP's built-in mail() function, which will connect directly to the
local mailserver without further configuration.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster