> -----Original Message-----
> From: Al [mailto:n...@ridersite.org]
> Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 12:09 PM
> To: php-general@lists.php.net
> Subject: [PHP] OpenID
>
> This is a bit off subject, but....
>
> What is your opinion on OpenID?

Failed gimick.
Tried to resurface again about a year ago.
Still seems like failure.

http://electronicmuseum.org.uk/2008/07/16/openid-fail/
http://thenextweb.com/2008/10/30/google-openid-fail/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID#Adoption

> Are you using it?

Uhm, no.
I've got more important things to worry about and implement.

> Is it worth the trouble?

I hear it's relatively simple to implement, but even then it's just another
hassle you have to test and work with forever (or eventually drop it as
some sites have).

> What php code applic, or did you code your own?
> Pear has an alpha release OpenID, anyone try or using it?

N/A

It sounds great in theory, but I see it as a solution in search of a
problem. Sure everyone has a bajillion logins, but you know what, the
browser has solved that long ago by remembering my user/pass for each and
every site. Most sites also conveniently store a cookie hash so you don't
even have to login -- it just knows you if you use the same computer to
connect.

There is an inherent distrust when you are re-directed somewhere -- I don't
even like to get redirected to PayPal from eBay, and they're the same
company! :)

It's too "techy" for Jane Average and too cumbersome for Joe Savvy.

YMMV.