Op 2/11/10 4:37 AM, Teus Benschop schreef:
> Good day,
>
> May I ask you, gurus, whether it is possible to set a flag in PHP that
> persists for the duration of the server being switched on?
>
> If the server would be power cycled, the flag would be off. Similarly if
> the web server would be restarted the flag would be off also.
>
> I do realize that such a thing would be possible to be done in MySQL by
> using a table with flags in memory: CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS timer
> (flag int) ENGINE = MEMORY;
>
> But is this also possible in PHP?

take a look at memcache, or APC in terms of memory storage, although it might
be possible
to have the web server setup a $_ENV value (I do this myself sometimes with the
mod_rewrite extension of apache).

as such php is a 'share nothing' architecture - so essentially there is no
concept of
server level global/persisent vars. if your coming from .NET or Java et al this
may be a
little shocking but it is by design, it requires a somewhat different approach
(possibly)
to application design.