I have checked the rights on the file for the first scenario and no user as
locked it, I can see it, read it and write into it. I could even delete it
if I wanted.

For the second scenario, it doesn't even apply, as the exec('zip') that
timeout try to create a new file (naturally in a folder where the web app
user has all the necessary rights)

In both case, it is no PHP timeout, as after the copy() in the first
scenario, and the exec('zip') in the second scenario, the script continue to
execute the other instructions, although the manipulation of the big files
fails.

But if it is not a PHP timeout, what is it?

http://haxe.org