On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Nathan Rixham <nrix...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jan G.B. wrote:
> > Top posting sucks, so I'll answer the post somewhere down there.
> > <SCNR>
> >
> > 2010/3/29 Devendra Jadhav <devendra...@gmail.com>
> >
> >> Then you can do file_get_contents within PHP. or any file handling
> >> mechanism.
> >> not
> >>>>>

> > Try something like that
> > <?php
> >         $content = file_get_contents($filename);
> >         $etag = md5($content);
> >         header('Last-Modified: '.gmdate('D, d M Y H:i:s',
> > filemtime($filename)).' GMT');
> >         header('ETag: '.$etag);
> >         header('Accept-Ranges: bytes');
> >         header('Content-Length: '.strlen($content));
> >         header('Cache-Control: '.$cache_value); // you decide
> >         header('Content-type: '.$should_be_set);
> >         echo $content;
> >         exit;
> > ?>
> >
> > Depending on the $filesize, you should use something else than
> > file_get_contents() (for example fopen/fread). file_get_contents on a
> huge
> > file will exhaust your webservers RAM.
>
> Yup, so you can map the <Directory /path/to> in web server config; then
> "allow from" only from localhost + yourdomain. This means you can then
> request it like an url and do a head request to get the etag etc then
> return a 304 not modified if you received a matching etag Last-Modified
> etc; (thus meaning you only file_get_contents when really really needed).
>
> I'd advise against saying you Accept-Ranges bytes if you don't accept
> byte ranges (ie you aren't going to send little bits of the file).
>
> If you need the downloads to be secure only; then you could easily
> negate php all together and simply expose the directory via a location
> so that it is web accessible and set it up to ask for "auth" using
> htpasswd; a custom script, ldap or whatever.
>
> And if you don't need security then why have php involved at all? simply
> symlink to the directory or expose it via http and be done with the
> problem in a minute or two.
>
> Regards!

Also look at readfile() and fpassthru if dealing with large files.

Moreover, if you have control over the webserver then you can use PHP only
for authenticating the getFile request and offload the file delivery
operation to your webserver (Apache, NginX, lighttpd) using "X-SendFile"
header in the response.

Best,
Anshul