Jan G.B. wrote:
> 2010/3/29 Nathan Rixham <nrix...@gmail.com>
>
>> Jan G.B. wrote:
>>> Top posting sucks, so I'll answer the post somewhere down there.
>>> <SCNR>

>>> Try something like that
>>> <?php
>>>         $content = file_get_contents($filename);
>>>         $etag = md5($content);
>>>         header('Last-Modified: '.gmdate('D, d M Y H:i:s',
>>> filemtime($filename)).' GMT');
>>>         header('ETag: '.$etag);
>>>         header('Accept-Ranges: bytes');
>>>         header('Content-Length: '.strlen($content));
>>>         header('Cache-Control: '.$cache_value); // you decide
>>>         header('Content-type: '.$should_be_set);
>>>         echo $content;
>>>         exit;
>>> ?>
>>>
>>> Depending on the $filesize, you should use something else than
>>> file_get_contents() (for example fopen/fread). file_get_contents on a
>> huge
>>> file will exhaust your webservers RAM.
>> Yup, so you can map the <Directory /path/to> in web server config; then
>> "allow from" only from localhost + yourdomain. This means you can then
>> request it like an url and do a head request to get the etag etc then
>> return a 304 not modified if you received a matching etag Last-Modified
>> etc; (thus meaning you only file_get_contents when really really needed).
>>
>> I'd advise against saying you Accept-Ranges bytes if you don't accept
>> byte ranges (ie you aren't going to send little bits of the file).
>>
>> If you need the downloads to be secure only; then you could easily
>> negate php all together and simply expose the directory via a location
>> so that it is web accessible and set it up to ask for "auth" using
>> htpasswd; a custom script, ldap or whatever.
>>
>> And if you don't need security then why have php involved at all? simply
>> symlink to the directory or expose it via http and be done with the
>> problem in a minute or two.
>>
>> Regards!
>>

> In my opinion, serving user-content on a productive server is wicked sick.
> You don't want your visitors to upload malicous files that may trigger some
> modules as mod_php in apache. So it makes sense to store user-uploads
> outside of a docroot and with no symlink or whatsover.

even the simplest of server configurations will ensure safety. just use
.htaccess to SetHandler default-handler which treats everything as
static content and serves it right up.

> One more thing added: your RAM will be exhausted even if you open that 600mb
> file just once.
> Apaches memory handling is a bit weird: if *one* apache process is using
> 200mb RAM on *one* impression because your application uses that much, then
> that process will not release the memory while it's serving another 1000
> requests for `clear.gif` which is maybe 850b in size.

again everything depends on how you have your server configured; you can
easily tell apache to kill each child after one run or a whole host of
other configs; but ultimately if you can avoid opening up that file in
php then do; serving statically as above is the cleanest quickest way to
do it (other than using s3 or similar).

regards!