On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:09, Chris Cocuzzo wrote:
> hey-
>
> i have a page containing a form with a textarea field. The first part
> of the page is a quick IP check to make sure the request is coming from
> my computer. Here's the code I'm confused about:
>

> <textarea rows="25" cols="80" name="news_info" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR:
> rgb(31,31,31); BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT:
> rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid; BORDER-TOP:
> rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid; COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); FLOAT: none;
> FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; LETTER-SPACING: normal;
> LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px;
> PADDING-TOP: 1px; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN:
> middle">
>
> <?php
> readfile("lib/news_file.dat");
> ?>
> </textarea>
> <input type="submit" name="submit">&nbsp;&nbsp;
> <input type="reset" name="reset"><br>
>
> -this part above reads in data from the news file and it's put in
> between the textarea tags, so editing it is easier, then there is this
> part:
>
> <?php
> }
>
> if($submit)
> {
>     $fileh = fopen("lib/news_file.dat", "w");
>     fwrite($fileh, $news_info);
>     fclose($fileh);
> }
> ?>
>
> - that checks if the submit button was pressed, and if so, it writes
> the data from the textarea to the file
> - the problem I noticed was that if I submit with something in the
> textarea, it doesn't display when the page loads again, which is weird,
> because the action of the form is directed to the same page. but, if I
> press submit an addditional time, the data I entered in the first time
> comes up...I don't understand why it's not immediately showing up,
> since it does write to the file when submit is pressed
>
> please help!

You aren't setting a value for submit, so you might be better checking
for either isset($submit) or !empty($submit) rather than if($submit).
Otherwise try assigning a value to submit in the <input> tag.

--
David Robley      Techno-JoaT, Web Maintainer, Mail List Admin, etc
CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES      Flinders University, SOUTH AUSTRALIA

   Avoid temporary variables and strange women.