On 6 May 2010 00:04, tedd <t...@sperling.com> wrote:

> Hi gang:
>
> I found something that really impressed me -- please review this:

 -snip-

> Now, we also have smaller images of 12 different stones (in heads) that are
> all the same size. Thus, as the user picks the stones and positions they
> want and the image is assembled "on the fly".
>
> Is that the way you see this? Or is there a better way?
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

Personally, I wouldn't bother building an image generator (which isn't that
difficult to do with GD or Imagick--and I wouldn't go as far as to save the
values in a database). This can easily be done in Javascript.
The only reason to build an image generator is if the images need to be used
in a non-browser environment, e.g. sent to the user in an e-mail or enclosed
in a PDF.

At minimum you need all colorized images of the jewels, but you could even
do with one single image and colorize it using <canvas>. Too bad that's not
supported in anything other than (iirc) Firefox and the Webkit nightly.

Michiel