Nothing wrong with MySQL.  My comment was not specific to any particular
database.  It was just a general comment that any database-backed web site
will have the database as the bottleneck and any little optimizations you
try to do at the scripting level is not going to matter much in the
grander scheme of things.  You need to concentrate on making an efficient
schema and making sure you eliminate table-scans, etc.

-Rasmus