On Sun, 2010-07-18 at 21:27 +0200, tobias.muelle...@web.de wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> For a science project I am working on a mechanism that hands over data from a
> smartphone to a web-browser (=Internet PC). Both connect to a PHP server. The
> PHP server has to receive the data (=some kind of an URL) on the smartphone
> end and deliver it to the browser end.
>
> Up to now there have been two (working) implementations. One using the
> filesystem the other one using a MySQL Database. The data coming up from the
> smartphone is stored in a file/table and some seconds later sent down to the
> browser.
>

> My question: is it possible to implement this mechanisms just with PHP
> methods? I can't think of such a method but need to be sure.
>

> Tank you in advance.
>
> Have a good evening,
> Tobias
> Neu: GMX De-Mail - Einfach wie E-Mail, sicher wie ein Brief!
> Jetzt De-Mail-Adresse reservieren: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/demail

I suppose you could do it with some sort of socket connection, but it
would surely be more work than is worth the trouble. I've not worked
with sockets before, so don't know how you'd go about it. If I were to
do this, I'd just have all communications from the phone stored on the
server somehow (database, file, etc) and then the browser can use some
refresh mechanism (http refresh or ajax update) to query for new
messages. Messages can be tagged as read once they've been sent to the
browser as well. In this way, you can retain a history of communications
and only show the browser new information sent from the phone.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk