On 27 July 2010 11:46, Ashley Sheridan <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 11:35 +0200, Peter Lind wrote:
>
> On 27 July 2010 11:27, Ashley Sheridan <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 09:30 +0200, Gary wrote:
> >
> >> I know there are a number of possible ways of doing this, but I was just
> >> wondering if there is an accepted way of doing so which is better
> >> than others, performance wise. An idiom, if you like.
> >>

> > If you only need to find if a string contains the character and not its
> > position, then strstr() (or strchr(), but according to the manual they
> > are both the same) is the fastest route to go down. Using strpos() is
> > slower because it has to return the actual position of what you were
> > looking for, and a regex will be the slowest of all (and one would have
> > to question the sanity of someone using a regex to find a single
> > character in a string!)
> >

> I doubt there will be a noticeable difference between strstr and
> strpos - returning a bool is not faster than returning an integer.
> Would have to check the actual php source to see how the two are
> implemented to see if there's any real difference that might make a
> difference in speed.
>
> Regards
> Peter
>

> I tell a lie! Just checked the manual and strpos() is indeed the faster than
> strstr(). I vaguely remembered it was one of the two, but had not had quite
> enough coffee at this point of the morning obviously!

While on the topic of lack of coffee: I should know better than to
reply without checking the docs. strstr() returns a string, not a bool
- which would make it slower, though again, not noticeably so (unless,
like Ashley points out, you're doing a HUGE number of strstr() calls).

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>