If you have a shell account on the box, or if you have a similar box
yourself, you can build the curl extension as a standalone curl.so and
simply dl() it from your script.

eg.

  ./configure <your regular configure flags> --with-curl=shared
  make

You should then see modules/curl.so which you can dl()

You can get your server's regular configure flags from a phpinfo() call on
it.

-Rasmus