At the organization I'm interning at this summer, we have an intranet web.
My job is to update, maintain and enhance it.

On the main intranet web page, there's a weather channel "magnet" that
displays the local weather conditions.  Now, since not everyone has
inTERnet access, some people simply can't see the magnet.

I'd like to write a little PHP script that gets the magnet from the
weatherchannel.com site and "forwards" it to the inTRAnet web page.  This
way, everyone will be able to see the weather info (and not just an ugly
broken link).

Making the problem slightly more complicated is that all inTERnet traffic
has to go through a proxy.

I already wrote something similar to allow anyone (regardless of 'net
access) to use an external paging site.  I opened a socket to the proxy,
and sent an HTTP POST query, then read from the socket until eof to get
the reponse.

I modified this to pull data from the weatherchannel.com site (using an
HTTP GET request with via a socket to the proxy).  Now I know I can
actually pull the data, because I had the script echo everything the
socket returned, which (as expected) was the HTTP headers
(Content-type..., etc) then a bunch of nonsense (i.e., the binary image
data).

So I tried to write this script so that it accepted a GET parameter which
is the URL of an image to retrieve.  Then on the main webpage of the
intranet site, I used an HTML tag that looked like this:

        img src="myscript.php?url=http://host.com/path/to/image.jpg";

(obviously surrouned in greater than/less than signs), but the image
doesn't display.  My php script looked at the variable $url for the
location of the image file.

I'm not sure if I need to put some extra code in somewhere, or what.
Furthermore, the url to the weather channel magnet is actually script, so
it has it's own GET parameters :)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle this?

Thanks!

Matt

--
Matt Garman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, Take a bow for the new revolution