> This is called globally in *all* my scripts. In another script I'd
> really like to set the session to expire after the browser closes if a
> uses clicks "public terminal" or something.

Howdy.  Don't sessions expire when the browser closes as a rule?  Do
you mean the session cookie?  Why not store the cookie, if one exists,
 in a $_SESSION variable in your header file and then refer to that in
the rest of your code, rather than the cookie.  Then when you want to
destroy the session cookie, you can overwrite it and the existing
session will still flow using the $_SESSION vars until the browser
closes.

It's early here, I hope that sort of makes sense and that I've at
least sort of understood the problem.

Marc