On 26 March 2011 10:22, Ashley Sheridan <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 18:05 -0700, Tommy Pham wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Grega Leskovšek <legr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I am working on CMS designed to those who are unfamiliar  with a
>> > computer world and I want to offer a task where on a push of a button
>> > it will save current working page in textarea/s and open this page in
>> > a new tab or in a new window.
>>
>> PHP is server side.  "push of a button" is client side.  Google
>> javascript+onClick.
>>
>> > I googled some, but am still not sure how can I do it.
>> >
>> > Do I have to use target="_new" - I can not do this - I am working this
>> > for my University seminar and it has to be valid HTML5.
>> >
>> > Please help me improve my plan
>> > 1. I check wheter the user is using windows, linux, mac and then show
>> > appropriate possibility of all browsers for the targeted platform
>> > (WIN:IE,SA,FF,CH,OP, LINUX:FF.CHROMIUM and I need help for the mac
>> > also besides SA and FF what does it have among browsers?)
>>
>> Have you tried to google for browser versions and platform?  While
>> searching for the same thing long time ago, I found a site that lists
>> them.  Also, note that since you'll be using onClick for "push of a
>> button", beware of Javascript version difference among the browsers.
>> IIRC, IE is supports 1.3 and FF supports 1.9.  Haven't tested the
>> others so couldn't tell you.
>>
>> > 2. When the browser clicks button with the image of browsers inside
>> > anchor I target _new and location of the current file
>> >
>> > ?1 How can I offer option to open a new window not a new tab?
>> > ?2 How can I avoid the target attribute?
>> > ?3 How can I make a click on an image to produce action - or what do
>> > You suggest me to use - I would prefer img element not  button with an
>> > image - how can I do this?
>> >
>> > Once I will finish it I will offer here software to everybody so I
>> > will be able to get some response and improve it and this is one of
>> > the major problems otherwise it is already functional.
>> >
>> > Please help me, thanks in advance - or ? You think I could do this better
>> > in JS?
>> > -- When the sun rises I receive and when it sets I forgive ->
>> > http://moj.skavt.net/gleskovs/
>> > Always in Heart, Grega Leskovšek
>> >

>> I don't know if you have Flash in your tool belt but have you
>> considering using it?  It may simply your life with various browsers
>> and their versions across different platforms.  Note: Flash does tend
>> to be sluggish in terms of loading time and how much of what you need
>> the Flash to do.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tommy
>>

> I'd avoid trying to guess the browser entirely. There are always loads
> of fringe browsers that are in use, and things like Wine that allows
> people to run IE on Linux, as well as other Windows-based browsers too.
> As soon as you're trying to write a script that detects a specific
> browser and does something then you're already doing it wrong. Don't
> [...]

A common approach to web dev is to start with a dumb page - just HTML
and then add CSS and JS. This is known as progressive enhancement.

Another approach which I've read about recently is called regressive
enhancement. Essentially, you start at the cutting edge, using the
functionality that you want (canvas for example), and then add in the
missing features.

As more of the browsers that support the newer features become the
popular ones, you end up with less code providing support for older
browsers. So, when every browser supports canvas, you don't need to
install any code to emulate the canvas. Modenizr and YepNope are the
tools I read about for this.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend