Just a comment on the building a house, a house is a page, but as
programmers (at least decent ones) we are no longer building single pages,
we build a house template and fill it with various elements to define what
the house is and what it does, so in essense you actually are not building
just one house, you are building a city, some of which needs to be protected
by a fortress, a fortress to protect the houses that need to be accessible
to a few, but not everyone. If you teach people to build houses, they will
have no idea how to build a fortress, and actually vise-versa if you teach
people to build the fortress, they will not know how to build a house. If
you are building a website (completely or as an extension), you have to do
everything, you have to think about the UI, you have to think about
security, you have to think about performance, you have to think about
function, without knowing how to do either one, you can not make a whole,
but without knowing how the whole works, you can not build efficient ones,
and pull them together...

Also you left out a database, your basement/foundation (html is really only
the flooring, the walls and the roof, the stuff that you can see), avoiding
to tell people how to deal and build a proper basement (and oh god how many
times have i dealt with horribly designed databases, i have nightmares
sometimes) doesn't prepare web developers for any real-world tasks any more
then negating to explain to soldiers how to reload their weapons prepares
them for the battlefield...

Alex
--
The trouble with programmers is that you can never tell what a programmer is
doing until it’s too late.  ~Seymour Cray