On Dec 20, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Jim Lucas wrote:

On 12/19/2011 6:44 PM, Rick Dwyer wrote:
Hello all.

When I set my page charset from iso-8859-1 to utf-8, when I run it through the W3C validator, the validator returns an error that it can't validate the page
because of an illegal character not covered by UTF-8.

"Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 199 it contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8(in other words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character Encoding). Please check
both the content of the file and the character encoding indication.
The error was: utf8 "\x99" does not map to Unicode"

Line 199 is a line with my open PHP declaration:
"<?php"

Not sure why W3C is having a hard time with this.  Any ideas?

--Rick

You need to look at the output of your script, not the source for your script.

The validation only happens after PHP has executed & processed the php script and sent the output to the browser. It is the source in the browser that the
validation script sees.

--
Jim Lucas

Don't know what I was thinking when asked this as I am well aware PHP is server side and already rendered at the point of the W3C validator.

--Rick