On Feb 6, 2012, at 4:01 PM, Stuart Dallas wrote:
> Generally speaking you're better off with a design that automatically adapts
> to the viewport on which it's being displayed. While there's more than one
> reason for this, the overriding reason is that the same software (i.e. the
> same user agent) could be running on any size of device, from watch to huge
> flat panel screen on a wall.
>
> I think the world needs to move on from "is it a mobile device or not" to
> accepting the reality which is that the browser / OS is irrelevant, and that
> the way your site renders should be purely based upon the size of the
> display. Responsive designs such as that described in the A List Apart
> article Mari posted are fantastic tools for achieving this goal.
>
> -Stuart

Agreed. Not only the size of the display -- but what's a size of a pixel?

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/a-pixel-identity-crisis/

Presentation is a difficult problem to solve, but I don't think PHP enters into
the equation. From my view, the only thing that PHP can do is device-sniff,
which is clearly a losing proposition.

I believe that a presentation solution will be solved by presentation languages
(i.e, client-side).

Cheers,

tedd