Hello all.

I have some Pear Mail code composing an email and sending it to an external
smtp server for sending.

The issue is determining whether that external server actually accepted the
mail or not.  In the IF(PEAR… code below, it will return success even if I
leave the $to value empty.  However, if I remove the smtp username or password,
it will return an error indicating it could not reach the remote server.  So
the Pear::IsError function seems to only reflect if the intended server was
accessible… and not if the intended server accepted the outgoing email for
delivery.

Anyone have experience with the scenario below… specifically with determining
if the smtp server accepted the mail for delivery?

Thanks for any info.

--Rick

 require_once "Mail.php";

 $from = "f...@address.com";
 $to = "t...@address.com";
 $subject = "Hello!";
 $body = "Hello!";

 $host = "mail.host.net";
 $username = "myuser";
 $password = "mypass";

 $headers = array ('From' => $from,'To' => $to,'Subject' => $subject);
 $smtp = Mail::factory('smtp',array ('host' => $host,'auth' => true,'username'
=> $username,'password' => $password));

 $mail = $smtp->send($to, $headers, $body);

 if (PEAR::isError($mail)) {
   echo("<p>" . $mail->getMessage() . "</p>");
  } else {
   echo("<p>Message successfully sent!</p>");