Simple test I just did.

A simple script that first connects to mysql and then tries to select a db.

With a uid/pswd that I just made up for the script, I get the following:
****
Error - Could not connect to database from sql_db_connect
Access denied for user 'albany_ginerjm3'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
****

Going into my host's mysql manager, I created the uid/pswd to match what my script has in its code. The next execution returns this:
****
Error - Could not select database in sql_db_connect
Access denied for user 'albany_ginerjm3'@'localhost' to database 'albany_jgfiles'
****

Going back to my mysql manager, I added the new user to the db that I am trying to select. No more error messages.

I would check that the user is defined to access the db that you are trying to use, if not all the dbs you have.