on 7/23/01 10:55 AM, Shrout, Ryan at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> How can I keep fields in a form out of the URL?
>
> I am writing a basic PHP/login script to password protect a directory of the
> web site (if anyone knows of something pre-made, please do let me know).

If you're on a unix server you can use .htaccess
A search on any search engine should pull up lots of info on it.

> But, the first stumbling block is that when sometypes in their
> username/password, even when the I use th INPUT Type Password so only
> asterics appear when it is typed, the password still appears in the submit
> query URL.  How do I stop that?

Change your method to "post" as in <form method="post"
action="somefile.php">

Keep in mind that just sticks the variables in the header rather than on the
command line. It's not any more secure than what you had before.

Matt